Recipe Pairing: Lamb Shank with Lentils and country vegetables with Sokol Blosser Dundee Hills Estate Pinot Noir
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 2 Lamb shanks ~1.5 lb each
- 4 oz, onion diced
- 4 oz, carrots diced
- 4 oz celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart Lamb stock (substitute beef or chicken if necessary)
- 4 oz soy sauce
- 5.5 oz molasses
- 8 oz lentils, pre-soaked
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a small amount of oil in a sauté pan and sear the lamb shanks on all sides until brown and caramelized.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery and bay leaves to the pan and sauté on medium heat for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan by adding the stock to the pan and using a wooden spatula to scrape up everything off the bottom of the pan. Stir in soy sauce and molasses.
3. Place pan in 400°F degree oven, uncovered, and cook for approximately 1 ½ hours. Baste lamb shanks with pan liquid frequently.
4. Add lentils to the pan, making sure they are all covered in the liquid, and cook for another hour. Season appropriately with salt and pepper.